Is your workplace first-aid-ready?
This list will help get you started
Unfortunately, accidents can happen anywhere, including the workplace. Making sure your workplace is first-aid ready with the right processes, knowledge and resources is an important part of creating a safe work environment.
The office first aid kit is an essential tool. But when was the last time last time your workplace first aid kit contents were checked to ensure you have the first aid kit minimum requirements? And do your staff know where to find it, and how to use it?
How many first aid kits should a workplace have?
Well that depends. Your workplace first aid kit requirements will vary according to the size and risk level of your organisation. For example, the contents of a first aid kit at work on a building site will differ from business first aid requirements.
If you’re unsure as to whether your workplace first aid kit contents meet OHS first aid kit requirements, the below first aid checklist a good starting point for working out if you have the minimum requirements for first aid kits in the workplace.
First aid checklist for workplace (low risk):
- 1 Crepe bandage
- 2 Conforming bandages
- 2 Triangular bandages
- 3 Sterile wound dressings (No.13, 14, 15)
- 2 Non-adherent dressings
- 1 Eye pad – sterile
- 1 Hypo-allergenic tape
- 1 Adhesive strips
- 10 Antiseptic skip preparation swabs
- 6 Saline steritubes
- 1 Scissors stainless steel sharp/blunt
- 1 Forceps stainless steel sharp
- 1 Gloves latex non powdered
- 1 Resuscitation mask
- 1 Disposable goggles
- 1 Emergency shock blanket
- 1 Biohazard waste bag
- 1 Pack safety pins
- 2 Work injury reports
- 2 Work injury/illness registers
- 1 Notepad and pencil
- 1 First Aid Quick reference guide
St John has an extensive variety of first aid kits available to suit any workplace emergency. You can check recommended kit contents or purchase kits online.
Having your first aid kit minimum requirements in check is a great starting point. Other steps to take to ensure your organisation meets minimum first aid requirements (for the) workplace* include:
- Organise first aid training at your workplace and ensure an appropriate number of staff are trained
- Provide adequate equipment, supplies and facilities – review your workplace first aid kit checklist and first aid room checklist
- Review your processes and make sure your staff know the right procedures for dealing with an emergency.
St John Safe Assessments help workplaces identify your needs and create a bespoke first aid training and services package. To find out more or book an assessment call 08 9334 1233, complete an online enquiry form or email email@example.com.